The hospice admissions nurse was so kind yesterday. Besides giving us the information we needed to care for Stevie, she also suggested that we tell Stevie four things. I've been doing a lot of thinking during my waking hours, and the nurse's advice is becoming my mantra. I tell her these things over and over, and hope Stevie can hear me. I'd like to share these four things with you:
Thank you
Well, Stevie, thank you for being a wonderful Mom. Thank you for being a friend that so many people found they could talk to so easily--as they would to a "best friend." Thank you for showing us, by example, how to be compassionate and kind.
I forgive you
I don't think this really applies in our case, but for some people, mending fences and making peace with one another is important for closure. Mom, we would forgive you for anything. But there's nothing to forgive you for.
I love you
In a moment of consciousness this morning, tish asked Stevie if she knew that we both loved her. She answered, "Yes." I'm gratified that this message is getting through. Two thumbs up, tish!
Goodbye
This message is the hardest for me personally. I'm not ready for her to leave. But, this is not about me. It's all about Stevie. I've got to work on being able to say these words without breaking down...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Eric,
ReplyDeleteIt is ok if you break down while saying good-bye. She knows your heart and she loves you.
I have been SO honored knowing and loving your mom. I work in the Police Department and we bonded instantly. She is a hero of mine. I love her very much.
I am sad her journey is nearing the end but I am SO grateful for her huge, exuberant, independant, stylish, no topic off limits times I had with her. I was lucky to call her friend. I was lucky to have several dinners with her...to see her beauty and strength...to meet my inner being to reach the standard that she is!
I honor your mom...and the love she had for everyone. THANK YOU for sharing your mom with us! She made a HUGE impact, impression, and mark on my soul!
-Carmen Young
MVPD