Thursday, November 6, 2008

this one's the toughest

Stevie, just like Elvis, has left the building. She passed peacefully about 11:30, with her hands folded over her chest. What a class act.

A few minutes later, we gave her a royal send-off. There was an unopened bottle of Scotch in her closet. We opened it up and had a toast in her honor, amidst lots of tears. An hour later, something amazing happened. On a cloudless fall day, the sun streamed in her bedroom window and fell on the red bed linens. The entire room turned to a shade of rose. We'd like to think it was Stevie saying, "Thanks, I made it! Love you all and see you soon!"

Stevie's journey is not complete, and there will be additional entries made here. So check back once in awhile. And please try to perform and unexpected act of kindness for someone today in her honor.

We thought the following was appropriate:


"I am standing upon the seashore.
A ship at my side spreads her white
sails to the morning breeze and starts
for the blue ocean.

She is an object of beauty and strength.
I stand and watch her until at length
she hangs like a speck of white cloud
just where the sea and sky come
to mingle with each other.

Then, someone at my side says;
"There, she is gone!"

"Gone where?"
Gone from my sight. That is all.
She is just as large in mast and hull
and spar as she was when she left my side
and she is just as able to bear her
load of living freight to her destined port.
Her diminished size is in me, not in her.

And just at the moment when someone
at my side says, "There, she is gone!"
There are other eyes watching her coming,
and other voices ready to take up the glad
shout; "Here she comes!"


And that is dying."


--Henry Van Dyke

Bon voyage, Stevie, and Aloha!

9 comments:

  1. Stevie - we will miss her, there will always be a place for her here in the City!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel a huge loss that Stevie is no longer making this world a brighter place, she was like a beacon to me.

    A woman I admired and learned so much from. I appreciated her ... I loved her ... And I will continue to love and think of her often!

    I am so happy she left a trail to you showing that she was there and she had arrived where she should be. And GREAT that you opened a bottle of Scotch to toast her on her way! Brilliant! I think I shall do the same thing tonight!

    In all of my heart I truly believe it was her saying a moment of comfort to you, and thank you for sharing this with us, I feel like I was there, and honored to know how it was while you said good-bye to her.

    Love Carmen Young
    gypsyfroggie@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear Stevie I will miss you. Who will I share scotch with, or listening to the "golden oldies" on the radio, or share chocolate milkshakes with - but wait - you never did want to share those milkshakes. :) I love you and will keep you in my heart.

    Eric and Tish (really? Lisa?) thank you for sharing Stevie with us. Our lives are richer for having had her in them. And thank you for sharing this journey with us. You have all our love and sympathy.

    Love,
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Stevie for letting me get to know you. A wonderful women you were and will always be. I will remember you always. When I found out you went to better life the first thing that came to my mind was "wow, she was such a tremendous women who lived life to the fullest and got to experience so many wonderful stuff in her lifetime". Then I remembered how you always asked about my family and how you knew each of there names. That meant a lot to me. It showed me how much you cared. Now it's time for me to say goodbye to someone who was so special to me as like she was to many.

    With love and respect,
    Erika Murillo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad I had a chance to spend some time with Stevie this past summer, reconnecting over lunch in California. What warm memories Peter and I have of her over the years, especially our time spent together in Maine. I know she was a vibrant and positive spirit in the lives of so many. We mourn her passing, but find comfort knowing that her spirit will live on in the lives of all those she loved and touched. Our hearts go out to Eric, Tish, Dave and the rest of her family and close friends. We will surely miss you , Stevie. With our love and heartfelt gratitude, Kathie & Peter Clay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Eric, tish and Dave,

    In the few short hours since Stevie left us, here are some of the folks who are already missing her presence--our friends and relatives.
    all our Love, Cyn and Jerry

    I just looked through the blog and it is very hard to read. She is such a wonderful person and will be missed by many. We're thinking about all of
    you and send our love and prayers. Please let your Mom know that we're thinking about her.
    Love, Bee Roberts

    So sorry for the loss of Stevie, but glad you were there -- I read the Blog by Eric and plan to do those unexpected kindnesses -- what a great way to help Stevie "go on" and on and on...So glad you downed the Scotch -- that was my best recall of Stevie anyway -- class and charm like your mother and then the yen for that afternoon cocktail hour and a real slug of alcohol, no fainting whiff of something with an umbrella in it. God Bless her Soul. Janet Southwick

    I for one, feel fortunate to have met Stevie. She had such an amazing wit and seemed to enjoy life so much. Even though I only spent a little time with her, I often thought, wouldn't it be incredible if I could live into my 90's and be so with it....
    Ken Alteman

    I'm so sorry for your loss. I loved your description of her sense of style and grace....what a great presence to have in your life. I'm thinking of you.
    Yvonne Hall

    I'm so sorry to hear that. She was blessed to have family like you. Love, Pam Conley

    So sorry to hear about Stevie's passing. You are so right, she was full of life and definitely lived on her terms! Our best wishes to your family!
    Gil and Wendy Rico

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stevie was one of a kind. She brighten the lives of those she met and will be missed.

    Thanks for sharing stories from her wonderful life. God Bless.

    Mike Edwards
    (Union Camp)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well darn. I so hate to hear the news. I really enjoyed Stevie. She was an amazing lady and I was always impressed with her toughness. I feel fortunate to have been able to meet her. All of you are in my thoughts and prayers. God Speed Stevie!!! You will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eric my dear friend. I read through all of your comments, and it just brought a small steady stream of tears to my eyes. Stevie sounds like a truly remarkable lady. I think a large part of her heart and spirit is in you.

    I'm truly honored to be able to read your posts and share in such a tender moment with you and your family. If you need anything, lemme know.
    Your buddy dash

    ReplyDelete